Abandoned newborn baby saved by litter of puppies who kept her warm overnight in field
The tiny child was deserted in the Chattisgarh province of India but after being found by a dog, its puppies helped keep the newborn - now named Akanksha - warm until she was rescued.
ByEd Cullinane Sam Elliott-Gibbs Tahir Ibn Manzoor
12:28, 21 Dec 2021
UPDATED09:42, 22 Dec 2021
An abandoned newborn baby was 'saved' by litter of adorable puppies after cuddling close to keep the tiny tot warm in a cold field overnight.
The child had been heartbreakingly deserted during the night without any clothing and with her umbilical cord still attached.
According to reports, the baby was found by a stray dog, which cuddled up to her with its puppies all night in the Chattisgarh province of India.
"It's possibly the warmth from puppies and their mother itself who had kept this new born alive," one local said.
"Usually, the temperature dips at night and it's already December. I must say, it's her sheer luck."
Found nestled alongside a litter of puppies, the newborn was completely unharmed and discovered after residents heard her crying, it is claimed.
They informed the panchayat, a local government body, who contacted police.
The baby has also been referred to the Child Line Project after being examined by doctors in a local hospital.
One local, Premnath, said it was a 'miracle' the baby had survived the night, because stray dogs can be vicious, he said.
They said: "They are not parents, they are criminals. It is a miracle only to find new born baby surviving when stray dogs are lurking every now and then at the dead of the night".
The girl child has been named Akanksha.
An investigation is underway, and police are searching for her parents.
Senior IPS officer of Chhattisgarh Police, Special DG RK Vij expressed his shock.
Following the incident, a local representative Munnalal Patel revealed they had found the newborn after heading out for daily chores.
They said: "At 11 in the morning, we saw that there is a newborn baby girl who was crying and lying alongside puppies in our village.
"We panicked and informed the health department before the newborn was taken to the hospital for further checkup".