Central Adoption Resource Authority Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) is a statutory body of Ministry of Women & Child Development, Government of India. It functions as the nodal body for adoption of Indian children and is mandated to monitor and regulate in-country and inter-country adoptions. CARA is designated as the Central Authority to deal with inter-country adoptions in accordance with the provisions of the Hague Convention on Inter-country Adoption, 1993, ratified by Government of India in 2003. CARA primarily deals with adoption of orphan, abandoned and surrendered children through its associated /recognised adoption agencies.
The table below shows the organisation team of CARA:
Once you are in touch with CARA get a point of contact. We found that this helped in our favor immensely when we adopted Siya. If in doubt you can check contact details on: CARA
Key Points to Remember for Prospective Adoptive Parents (PAPs) as hard and long as the process may be:
- Only adopt from Specialised Adoption Agencies (SAAs) recognised by State Governments.
- Read the Guidelines carefully on the website and follow the due procedure.
- Follow the steps for completing your registration.
- Please upload documents as per instructions.
- For adoption related charges, please refer Schedule-13 of the Guidelines Governing Adoption of Children (2015). Always make payment via your chosen agency and not directly.
- In case of query, you may contact Toll Free Helpline No. 1800-11-1311 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do not approach any nursing home, hospital, maternity home, unauthorised institution or individual for adoption.
- Do not upload any incorrect document, else your registration will be cancelled or could be delayed.
- Do not pay any additional adoption charges other than what is prescribed in CARA Guidelines.
- Keep away from touts/middlemen. There is no role of touts/middlemen in adoption. They will mislead you to adopt a child illegally.
- Through illegal adoption, you may unintentionally become part of child trafficking network. Save yourself from legal ramifications.